Ahaba ve Ahva

Established in Cairo, Egypt 1928

4 Midan el Daher Cairo, Egypt. It's first Gabaii was Haim Soliman

Egypt 1949-50 - Pictures © provided by Mr. Albert Savdie (1996)

Rabbi Mounir Saad, Raabi Abraham Choueka, Albert Savdie

Rabbi Saad Mounir, Rabbi Abraham Choueka, Albert Savdie .. others unknown

Rabbi Ovadia Yosef front row in middle, others Yosef Hamaoui, Shlomo Sakkal

The Ahava ve Ahba is the first Jewish Egyptian congregation in the United States. Established in 1963 on a rented space provided by the Magen David congregation on 2066 67 street in Brooklyn NY 11204. 

Its first rabbi was Halfon Savdie, with a committee made up of Mr. Gabriel Chehebar, Joseph Barnathan, Salomon Harari, Joseph Hamaoui, Joseph Soffer, Chaya Israel, Isaac Salem.

In 1977 Rabbi Halfon Savdie moved to Israel and was succeeded by Rabbi David Choueka, followed by Rabbi Jacob Israel. In 1984 Rabbi Shimon Hai Alouf Rabbi of the congregation

Rabbi David Choueka accepting the deed

Rabbi David Choueka accepting the deed of the Ahava from Mr. Edmund Saffra pres. of Republic National Bank

Ahaba ve Ahva at 1801 Ocean Parkway

In 1979 the congregation moved to its new building 1801 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn, NY 11223

 

 

Rabbi Ovadia Yosef visit to the Ahaba ve Ahva (1975)

Aha2.jpg (108547 bytes)

Visiting Rabbi Obadia Yosef Chief Rabbi of Israel is being rosted by Hacham Joseph Hamoui Front looking up is Mr. Chaya Israel, next to Gabriel Chehebar, Rabbi Jacob Kassin sitting on left next to Rabbi Rubin, center is Rabbi Ovadia Yosef Chief Rabbi of Israel speaker is Joseph Hamaoui Rabbi Halfon Savdie is next and Isaac Salem on right standing. -1975

Rabbi Kalmanovitch of Mir Yeshiva addressing the Ahaba ve Ahva congregation during the inaugural of the new synagogue 

 

Seder Tawhid

Cairo 1950